Safer Opioid Prescribing Education: The Effect of Mandatory Education on CME Outcomes
Thursday, September 24, 2020, 3:00 - 4:00 PM ET
In the US, there is concurrent under-treatment of pain and overprescribing of opioids with associated opioid-related harms. In response, numerous states have passed laws mandating pain and/or opioid prescribing continuing education. There is national debate about whether this education should be voluntary or mandatory for all prescribers.
During this session, presenters will describe the impact that the New York State mandated pain management CME education had on safer opioid prescribing training outcomes compared to the training without a state mandate.
Daniel P. Alford, MD, MPH
Professor of Medicine
Associate Dean, Continuing Medical Education
Director, Clinical Addiction Research and Education (CARE) Unit
Director, Safe and Competent Opioid Prescribing Education (SCOPE of Pain) Program
Boston University School of Medicine
Sophie Peloquin, MMedSc
Vice President, Strategy & Performance
Mila Kostic, CHCP, FACEHP
Strategic Advisor, Stanford Center for CME
- Heyward J et al. Evaluation of the Extended-Release/Long-Acting Opioid Prescribing Risk Evaluation and Mitigation Strategy Program by the US Food and Drug Administration. A Review. JAMA Intern Med. 2020;180(2):301-309
- Moride Y et al. A Systematic Review of Interventions and Programs Targeting Appropriate Prescribing of Opioids. Pain Physician. 2019;22:229-240
- Kahn N et al. A Collaboration Between Government and the Continuing Education Community Tackles the Opioid Crisis: Lessons Learned and Future Opportunities. JCEHP. 2019;39(1): 58-63
- Parker AM et al. State Responses to the Opioid Crisis. Opioids, Law and Ethics. 2018;46:367-381
- Wiese HJC, Piercey RR, Clark CD. Changing Prescribing Behavior in the United States: Moving Upstream in Opioid Prescribing Education. Clin Pham & Thera. 2018;103(6):982-989
- Soelberg CD, et al. The Food and Drug Administration Should Mandate Risk Evaluation and Mitigation Strategies Training for All Opioids. Anesthesia & Analgesia. 2018; 126(4): 1413-1417
- Alford DP. Opioid Prescribing for Chronic Pain--Achieving the Right Balance through Education. New England Journal of Medicine. 2016;374(4):301-3.
- Alford DP, Zisblatt L, Ng P, Peloquin S, Hardesty I, White JL. SCOPE of Pain: An Evaluation of an Opioid Risk Evaluation and Mitigation Strategy Continuing Education Program. Pain Medicine. 2016;17(1):52-63.
- Davis CS, Carr D. Physician Continuing Education to Reduce Opioid Misuse, Abuse and Overdose: Many Opportunities, Few Requirements. Drug Alc Depend. 2016;163:100-107