The members of SACME are influential educators dedicated to the advancement of continuing medical education for the ultimate improvement of patient care. Current membership includes more than 280 professionals representing the leading medical schools, academic medical centers, teaching hospitals, and medical specialty societies in the United States and Canada.
SACME was established on April 2, 1976 as the Society of Medical College Directors of Continuing Medical Education (SMCDCME).
On July 20, 1998, SMCDCME was re-named the Society for Academic Continuing Medical Education (SACME).
Our Vision: To be the premier academic continuing medical and interprofessional education society that advances the field of continuing education in the best interest of patients and communities.
Our Mission: To promote the highest value in patient care and health of the public through the scholarship of continuing medical and interprofessional education.
Our Guiding Principles: SACME is committed to the following actions
1. Advance the theory and evidence to improve continuing education of clinicians, educators, and researchers.
2. Study the planning, implementation, and evaluation of continuing education programs and activities.
3. Collaborate to solve complex challenges facing leaders, clinicians, educators, and researchers in the field of continuing education.
4. Support scholarship and dissemination of continuing education, including discovery, integration, application, and teaching.
5. Guide the development of an interprofessional infrastructure necessary to improve continuing education to better serve patient care.
6. Address the full range of professional competencies required for excellence in clinical practice and education.